Clark County, Ohio

History and Genealogy



Springfield in 1852

From Directory of the City of Springfield
John W. Kees & Co., Springfield. 1852


CHURCHES.

The Methodists, whose organization we have already noticed, head the list of those established here. They built their edifice in 1814, on the northwest corner of Market and North streets, where it now remains, occupied as a dwelling. In 1834, they built their second or present church on the southeast corner of Market and Columbia streets. Present number of members of this church is near four hundred. Rev. Granville Moody, pastor.

First Presbyterian — Main street, between Market and Centre. Organized in July, 1817, with twenty-eight members, under the charge of Rev. Archibold Steele. Built their first edifice in 1828, and their second and present in 1848. Present number of members, about three hundred. Rev. N.C. Burt, pastor.

Associate Reform Presbyterian — Limestone street, between High and Washington. Organized in 1819, with twelve members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. John Steele. Built their first church in 1820-21, which is now owned by the African denomination; and their second and present edifice, in 1838. Present number of members, about one hundred and twenty. Rev. R.W. Henry, pastor.

Methodist Protestant — Organized in 1828, with about thirty members, most of whom were formerly united with the Episcopal Methodists. Rev. Saul Henkle first supplied them with preaching. In 1829 they built a small brick church on North street, between Limestone and Spring. This they sold in 1849, and are now building a house of public worship on Washington street between Market and Center. Present number of members about forty-six. Present pastor, C.F. Williams.

Episcopal — Southwest corner of Limestone and High streets. Organized in 1834, by Rev. Alexander Varian. Built their present edifice in 1842. Present number of members about sixty. Rev. C. Robbins, pastor.

First Baptist — Northeast corner of Limestone and High streets. Organized in the winter of 1834-6 with thirteen members. Eld. E.D. Owen thier first pastor. Built first and present edifice in 1845 and finished it in 1852. Present number of members about one hundred and thirty. Rev. Jos. Brown, pastor.

Universalist — Washington street, between Center and Factory. Organized in June, 1836, with twenty-six members. Rev. Geo. Messenger their first minister. Built their first and present edifice in 1837.

Lutheran — Northeast corner of Factory and High streets. Organized in 1841, with nineteen members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. John Lehman. Their present edifice was their first, and erected in 1845 and finished in 1850. Present number of members near one hundred and fifty. Rev. Prof. F.W. Conrad, pastor.

German Lutherans — St. John's congregation — corner of Walnut alley and Columbia street. Organized in 1845, by Rev. J. Scladermundt. Built their present edifice in 1850. Present number of members about one hundred. Rev. Mr. Stroud, present minister.

High Street Methodist Episcopal — adjoining the High School. Organized in 1849, with about one hundred and twenty members, a branch from the Columbia Street Church. Rev. C. Elliot first supplied them with preaching. Built their present edifice in 1850, and dedicated it July 27, 1851. Present number of members about one hundred and eighty. Rev. J.W. Weakley, pastor.

Catholic — High street, near Spring. Built their present edifice in 1850 — dedicated it in December, 1850. Rev. M. Howard, pastor.

Congregational — Center street, between High and Main. Organized in April, 1850, with thirty-nine members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. J.C. White, the present pastor. Built their present edifice in 1851. Present number of members fifty-three.