Clark County, Ohio

History and Genealogy



Northwest Corner of Wittenberg & High

This was the northwest corner of South Wittenberg Avenue and West High Street in the 1870's.

That structure was replaced by the Crowell-Collier Building. Started by Phineas P. Mast, as Farm and Fireside Magazine, it moved to this site in 1881.

Eventually magazines such as Collier's, American, Country Gentlemen and Farm and Fireside were published in this building. It grew to cover an entire city block.

In December, 1956, Crowell-Collier closed its doors forever and 2000 people lost their jobs. Since then, the building has found occasional use for storage, but has never reached its former glory. Below is the Crowell-Collier building in 2006.



Back